As winter sets in, chances of catching cold and flu increases. The air inside the closed spaces of our homes become cold and dry encouraging germs to circulate more easily. All these together make our sinuses and skin dry and easily irritable. Although surprising, but it is true that a humidifier can enhance your overall health especially in the winter season. During other seasons also, lot of respiratory problems can stay away from you if you use a humidifier in your home.
A device that can add moisture to the air of your room helping reduction of dryness which is the cause for many health problems is a humidifier. They are used to treat dryness of nose, skin, throat and lips. All this is possible only when the device is used correctly because overuse of it might worsen the problem. So, buying a product from reputable company and following the instructions carefully is extremely important to get the most of the humidifier.
There are many areas which are dry and low-humidity prone zones. Many people think that living in dry area is better, but in reality, flu virus spreads easily in dry air as compared to humid air. Many other viruses also sustain longer in dry air. So, if you live in a dry area or you make use of air conditioner or room heater a lot, humidifier is a must for you.
1. It helps improve chronic conditions like asthma and allergies. If someone in your home suffers from allergies or if you have a family history of asthma, you should start using this device. Turing on the device even for a shorter period of time will improve the quality of the air you and your family breathe inside house.
2. The device will help get relief from the respiratory colds faster. So, if you want to stay a little bit more comfortable in winter or dry weather, turn on your humidifier. During summer when air conditioning makes the air dry, this device will help you save from different problems.
3. Nosebleeds can be prevented which happens only due to dry weather. As soon as the device is turned on, it will increase the humidity of the air.
4. Prevent sinusitis. Some humidity in the air not just prevents germs to flow freely, but also keeps dust and other nasty particles away. If you add clarifying essential oils, you are going to get further relief from the problem.
5. It helps keep the skin soft and moisturized. To keep your skin soft and hydrated during cold and dry weather, a proper moisture level is needed in the air. The humidifier will help you have that safe level and stabilize it as well.
Many people, when buy the device for the first time, fail to clean the reservoir before using it. Although you think that the product is new and it appears to be clean also, but it is possible that there might be some residue from the manufacturing process. So, it is advisable to clean the reservoir with soap and water. Taking this preventive measure would help you get the most of the device and save you from facing any kind of problem as well.
After cleaning the reservoir, you need to fill it with clean water. The kind of water you use depends on the type of humidifier you have bought. Some products come with special instructions to use only distilled water because it is free from any additive usually found in tap water. Also, you should pay attention to the marked line that indicates the maximum limit of filling water. Make sure you do not exceed it.
Once the reservoir is cleaned and filled with clean water, your product is ready for use. Taking care of the position of the humidifier is important. Position it in a place that is in a level and raised surface which should be at least 12 inches away from the wall. Do not place the product under your bed, on shelves, near curtain or paper.
Once the step 1, 2 and 3 gets completed, it is time to turn on your device. Study the manual of the device carefully so that you understand how to use the different knobs and buttons. Add any kind of essential oils only if the manual says the device is compatible with these items. Turn off the humidifier when not in use.
A clean humidifier is not just necessary for good looks and long service life, but also to keep the air of that room clean and safe to breathe. In fact, it is recommended that you clean the humidifier once a week if you use it rarely and twice a week if you use it regularly.
Humidifier, when used with care and caution, can help bring drastic change in your overall health. Just keep in mind that this is a home remedy and not a medical treatment. You can protect yourself and your family members from getting sick, but if any of you suffer from any problem and there is no relief in the situation, you should immediately see a doctor. Also, if anyone at home suffers from any kind of health problem, you should consult your doctor before using any essential oil. Remember, starting to use a humidifier is not a solution for any chronic health problem especially when it is causing discomfort to the person.
Follow the manufacturer's instructions in using and maintaining the humidifier because every device is different. It will help you keep allergies and other symptoms at bay as well as improve your overall health gradually. Stay away from the common mistakes otherwise the unit can aggravate new kinds of allergies or worsen the existing ones.